[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] Boundary data

Simone Cortesi simone at cortesi.com
Thu Oct 30 23:29:43 GMT 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 12:20 AM, Skywave <rjtehpwn at gmail.com> wrote:

> IMO, relations are the way to go. It can handle every situation including
> holes (exclaves/enclaves), multiple names, multiple administrative levels on
> same border. The only question remaining if you should add the coastlines to
> it. Also since the import of the Italian data and the reimport of AND
> boundaries in NL, there are now 10297 boundary relations according to
> http://tagwatch.stoecker.eu/Europe/En/top_undocumented_relations.html.

actually we are trying to figure out exactly this: include or not the
coastline? I'm personally favouring the solution of adding the
relation data to the coastline, splitting them at the municipality
border on the sea, every time the municipality changes. removing then
afterward the only-boundary-way..

-S