[OSM-talk] I've added some amenity values to "Map Features" based on tag usage

Fri Oct 31 09:20:10 GMT 2008

Mark Williams wrote:

> The apostrophe is not correct anyway. It denotes a missed letter, in
> this word-position it would be 'doctor is', as opposed to the
> non-apostrophe version meaning 'belong to the the doctor' or plural
> doctors.

Heehee, don't get me started.

"doctor's" is the appropriate usage to denote possession ("belonging
to the doctor"). And it does denote a missed letter... just a long
while ago.

The Old English genitive of *doctor would have been "doctores", with
something similar carried through into Middle English, and that "e"
is what the apostrophe is replacing.

cheers
Richard