[OSM-talk] Vector rendering on the client?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Oct 31 09:33:02 GMT 2008

Hi,

Greg wrote:
> I think I'm on safe ground with my presumption that maps are recorded and
> stored in vector format.

True, but they are also automatically processed into bitmaps, which then
get delivered to the browser.

> I observe that whan I try to _use_ the map (on
> Firefox 3 on SuSE 10.3/Linux) it takes a looooong time to render and does so
> in a bitmap format.

It doesn't render the map from vectors at the time of viewing (unless
you're talking Potlatch or the "data" layers which do, and they take a
negligible amount of time to render compared with the time used to
retrieve the data).

> Since my browser is able to render SVG natively (albeit a subset of the full
> SVG spec), is there a way to offload some of the processing burden from the
> server and retrieve maps in vector format.

Theoretically yes, the original Osmarender is XSLT based and so runs in
a browser. See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osmarender_Frontend for a cool
render-in-browser application.

However this will not make things faster because it will increase the
strain on the database to deliver the data to be rendered, a database
which is already under some strain. Again, there's some work done to
improve that by tiling the existing data into parcels for quick access,
see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OJW%27s_tile_data_server,
but that's not in productive use as far as I know.

Bye
Frederik