[OSM-talk] mailing list behavior

Lance Dyas lancelot at inetnebr.com
Mon Sep 1 19:39:33 BST 2008

Norbert Wenzel wrote:
> Lance Dyas wrote:
>> [...] The direct emails arent marked as coming through the list and
>> are likely to end up in
>> my spam bucketss... or just get overlooked.
>>
> Well they are marked. For mailing lists like OSM I do not filter the
> email address but the subject. The "[OSM-talk]" part, stays in the
> subject, even if this has been a direct reply to your message. They
> are even correctly positioned in the thread in Thundbird here.
Direct emails from google groups do not.. and come to think of it the
demanding and rude emails I am recalling came through there too.
> So since everything which comes through the list has the [OSM] part in
> the subject and every reply which is sent directly to you has it
> either, I'd just change my filter from email address to subject and
> everythings as you like it.
> regards,
> Norbert
>
> PS: I sent this mail only to the list, just to be sure you don't
> consider this mail rude. ;-)
The extra effort to make it that way shouldnt be necessary and its
perfectly
reasonable if somebody wants to send private feed back that they put in
effort.

The default responder  to public conversation venues
needs to be to just that ... the public group this is normative behavior
by diverging in this way from how the dozen or more groups
 which I am on you pretty much garantee double posts or
just emails sent to the one person... dont think I am being invasive