[OSM-talk] mailing list behavior

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Mon Sep 1 21:40:41 BST 2008

On Monday 01 September 2008 20:57:59 Matt Williams wrote:
> On Monday 01 September 2008 19:07:13 Norbert Wenzel wrote:
> > Lance Dyas wrote:
> > > [...] The direct emails arent marked as
> > > coming through the list and are likely to end up in
> > > my spam bucketss... or just get overlooked.
> >
> > Well they are marked. For mailing lists like OSM I do not filter the
> > email address but the subject. The "[OSM-talk]" part, stays in the
> > subject, even if this has been a direct reply to your message. They are
> > even correctly positioned in the thread in Thundbird here.
> >
> > So since everything which comes through the list has the [OSM] part in
> > the subject and every reply which is sent directly to you has it either,
> > I'd just change my filter from email address to subject and everythings
> > as you like it.
>
> Or just filter on the email header "List-Id"
> containing "<talk.openstreetmap.org>". I believe a header like this is set
> for all mailman lists. An email client like KMail will do this easily
> (right click on a message and click 'create filter'->'filter on mailing
> list...'). This also helps avoid problems where mails are cross-posted
> between lists since you can sometimes end up with the subject beginning
> with "[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev]"
>
> Incidentally, in KMail, simply clicking reply will send to
> talk at openstreetmap.org though it does also have a 'reply to mailing list'
> button for the lists where that doesn't work.

It was brought to my attention that my previous email had the Reply-To field
set to my email address explicitly which (in KMail's case) overrode the
ability for simply clicking on 'Reply' to reply to the list. However, for an
email without the Reply-To field set, 'Reply' sends it to the list. This
simply further shows that the hugely differing behaviour between mail client
makes this a trick problem to solve.

Regards,
Matt

(This email should not have the Reply-To field set)