[OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - waterways/ditch

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Sep 2 13:10:07 BST 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> spaetz wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 10:08:11AM +0100, Dave Stubbs wrote:
>>>  - and that it's possible to represent an exact mph in kph anyway if
>>> you can really be bothered: 1mile == 1.609344km exactly
>>
>> Do you always carry your calculator with you when mapping or do you
>> do it by hand :-)
>
> Slightly obscure point but I'd also add that the speed limit on UK
> dual carriageways is 70mph by statute, not 112.65408kph. Now I don't
> expect the UK Government is going to sneak in a stealth speed
> reduction by redefining a mile as 1.5km, but, well, I wouldn't put it
> past them.

Well, quite probably given the official conversion is given as 112km/h.
But anyway.. even if it is 70mph by statute, it turns out
112.65408km/h is exactly the same speed so it doesn't matter at all.
ie: if I'm pulled over by a policeman and he says "you were doing over
70mph" a valid defence is not "no, I was travelling at 120km/h so I
can't have been".

Dave