[OSM-talk] OSMHQ (Open Street Map High Quality): Viable Alternative For The National Map Corps

Nathan Vander Wilt nate-lists at calftrail.com
Wed Sep 3 18:12:29 BST 2008

On Sep 2, 2008, at 7:47 AM, Sunburned Surveyor wrote:
> Nate,
>
> What data are you talking about? Do you mean the actual vector
> geometry created as part of the mapping, or do you mean the extra
> stuff, like the metadata and the photos?

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but I see I was a bit unclear
myself below.

In my first paragraph, I was referring to all the data that is
produced via federal money (e.g. USGS, NASA, Census Bureau, CIA,
NOAA...) and is thus in the public domain. There's a lot of great US
and world datasets from these agencies that have enabled, or at least
got started, a lot of neat stuff because of the generous (non-)license
Federal (and some state???) works are under.

In my second paragraph, I was referring to the data that you hope to
encourage Corps members to continue to collect. If they are willing to
continue having their work placed in the public domain, it might be
best to keep it totally separate from OSM. If surveyors start with
public domain base maps such as TIGER, revised with their own GPS
traces, there can be no questions as to whether they are a "derived
work" of a virally licensed dataset like OSM. (See http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2008-May/025912.html
  for an example of the FUD spread on the idea of extracting PD data
back out of OSM.)

Of course, some surveyors may prefer that their work be under a
Copyleft license. That's fine, and I certainly wouldn't want to
discourage anyone from contributing directly to OSM in that case. But
if given a choice some would choose PD, please consider providing them
a workspace where such a choice isn't compromised.

Have you been able to get into contact with any now-restless
surveyors? lf so, and you'd like assistance in the matter, I know
there are at least a few others on this list of similar mind with
regards to the licensing problems.

thanks,
-natevw