[OSM-talk] download osm format large area, high zoom level

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Sep 7 13:52:43 BST 2008

Hi,

> I want to create tiles with a high zoom level (10 or 11, I think) for a
> large area (Netherlands) to create aeronautical maps. I have downloaded
> the OSM file for the Netherlands (almost 1 Gig).
> My question is:
> Is it possible to chop the large OSM file in smaller peaces or get OSM
> files from the OSM server, but at a larger size then the current maximum
> level. Bassically, I do not need a lot of the detail (like local
> streets), but I want to change the presentation of the output of the
> details and add airspace structure boundaries to it.

Osmosis can cur any bounding box from the input data, or you can use
osmcut.c (also in SVN) to chop input into equal-sized squares. If you
want to filter for certain features, e.g. only motorway/trunk/primary
plus forests or so, you can do that using the Perl script
"planteosm-excerpt-tags.pl", also in SVN.

Bye
Frederik