[OSM-talk] amenity=vending_machine AND amenity=post_box: what about?

Norbert Wenzel n_wenzel at gmx.net
Mon Sep 8 06:53:22 BST 2008

Shaun McDonald wrote:
> The problem with this is that none of the editors support having
> duplicate key values, even so the 0.5 API supports it. The 0.6 API
> will not support duplicate key values.

I think the support of duplicate keys is a very much needed feature and
I personally would drop it only, if there are really good reasons (e.g.
breaking fast queries, etc.) to drop it.

It would be possible to tag something like "amenity=supermarket;
post_office;" but as stated in another discussion yesterday that would
make searching for entries much more complicated.

Just to name a few very common cases where duplicate keys would be
necessary I'd like to point out the very common case of hotels also
having a publicly available restaurant. Of course one could draw a
building and drop all needed amenities inside, but I think that wouldn't
be routable unless you add the addr: properties to every node inside
that building.

So personally I think duplicate keys would be the easiest and best way
to tag such double-uses.

Norbert