[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap routing service

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Sep 8 14:23:26 BST 2008

Lambertus wrote:

> Perhaps an inventory of the countries that allow cyclists on trunks and
> motorways has to be created.

Here you assume that "trunk" is a well defined concept.  But it
isn't.  There are no roads in Scandinavia that are called "trunk"
roads.  So we have to invent our own understanding of when to use
this label.  Unfortunately, the Finns and Norwegians made a
different interpretation than the Swedes.  So at some zoom levels,
it looks as if Norway and Finland are full of green trunk roads,
while Sweden is a country with very few roads.  Because we labeled
those roads as "primary", which are not rendered at that zoom
level.

I think we should change all Swedish "riksväg" roads from primary
to trunk, to match the definition used for Norway and Finland, and
to make the map of Sweden look less empty at some zoom levels.

However, even though the speed limit on a Swedish "riksväg"
(similar to a German "Bundesstrasse") is mostly 90 km/h (sometimes
70 km/h), you are allowed to drive tractors and bicycles there.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)