[OSM-talk] YOURS now supports route using only cycleroutes

Lambertus osm at na1400.info
Thu Sep 11 10:05:37 BST 2008

YOURS, the OpenStreetMap routing service is now able to calculate routes
using *only* cycle routes and networks.

Select the 'Cycle networks' layer to activate this feature. Route
planning works the same as with the 'normal' routing function: Place a
'To' and 'From' marker on the map and a route will be calculated using
the nearest available cycleroutes.

Example:
<http://tile.openstreetmap.nl/~lambertus/routing-world/?flat=52.141494&flon=5.965915&tlat=52.069798&tlon=6.129336&v=bicycle&fast=0&layer=cn>

This new feature seems useful to me for planning e.g. weekend leisure
cycle trips as cycle routes and networks often make use of scenic, safe
and quiet roads/cycleways and where a detour isn't as important as the
riding experience.

Also, analog to the 'normal' routing function, this feature is very
usefull in determining gaps and other errors in the cycleroutes.
Example:
<http://tile.openstreetmap.nl/%7Elambertus/routing-world/?flat=52.052869&flon=6.112689&tlat=52.042312&tlon=6.147708&v=bicycle&fast=1&layer=cn>
(Zoom a bit out to spot the problem)

Technically, this feature works by using another Gosmore instance to
calculate the route. This instance uses a database that contains only
ways that are used in national (ncn), regional (rcn) or local (lcn)
cycle routes/networks mapped as relations. More info is on the YOURS
wiki page.

Hopefully this feature will inspire more mappers to add more and improve
cycle routes. I know the UI needs more work, comments, suggestions etc.
are welcome ofcourse.

Enjoy!