[OSM-talk] Running Mapnik under Windows/Win32 | How to convert the Planet-File and Render World Tiles

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Fri Sep 12 14:51:22 BST 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-12 15:13:23 +0200, contact at living-structures.de <contact at living-structures.de> wrote:
> My Source: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapnik
>
> I have installed everything under Windows 2000 (SP4) and
> the demo (with the 3 pictures) works fine. Now i've two questions:
>
> *Question 1: How to convert the PLANET IN FILE on Windows/WIN32 *
> I know i've to execute this Command ...
> * ./osm2pgsql osm-U-m-d f: / osm/planet-080910.osm *

osm2pgsql is binary program written in C. It may compile eg. under
Cygwin, even easily. As an alternative, you'd run it on a Linux box
and use the PostGIS database on your Windows box, which should work
fine.

> but where ... Python-Shell ... Windows-Command ... or do i have
> to compile this command before i can use it on my win32-OS and
> how does this compilation work ?

I cannot really help you with the compilation. Either run it on a
Linux box (Debian even has it as a package), or try to build it with
Cygwin. If that works, it's by far the easiest way to get it build for
Windows.

> *Question 2: RENDERN TILES OF THE WORLD? *
> I rendered the deom and it works fine, but what are all the other steps,
> i've to do,  before i can use the generate_tiles.py srcript to generate the
> world map level x (x=1-14)?
> http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/rendering/mapnik/generate_tiles.py

Don't know, never did that :)

MfG, JBG