[OSM-talk] NoName

Elena of Valhalla elena.valhalla at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 06:47:32 BST 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 10:04 PM, Gervase Markham <gerv-gmane at gerv.net> wrote:
>> 1. do nothing and don't worry about it
>
> That's a really bad solution. That means that new people coming to the
> project will think "What can I do to start off that's easy? I know, I
> can put in the names of some local roads." Then they'll go out and spend
> an evening discovering that all the ones marked red on the noname map
> actually have no names. And they'll be annoyed that there's no way to
> mark this. Repeat for many new volunteers in every area.

I wonder how many new people would start by looking for the noname
map, understand what it is all about, not knowing or not being able to
guess that such way (in their own local area) really does not have a
name and then go checking all of them, not doing anything else

my experience is that new people will more likely print a plain map
and either look for an empty area to fill or go adding POIs and the
like in a generic way

>> 3. have a special value for the name tag (name=none or some such)
> I find is really very unlikely that there is any important object in the
> world which is known generally by the name "none" in small letters, with
> no The, capital N, or anything like that.

that applies to the english speaking world, but "none" is a word with
a simple structure that is probably valid in most of the languages of
the world, and I wouldn't be surprised if it had some other unrelated
meaning that could be the name of a street

> So I'd support this. It's just
> another rendering rule - unless the renderer people want to tell us that
> this sort of special-casing is particularly difficult to implement.

it is a special case that should be applied to every application that
uses josm data, and that is more work and more assumptions than simply
needing a fix from the renders

I wouldn't want to be guided in a roundabout like this

|       |   highway="something" junction="roundabout"
\       /   name="none"
 \-----/
  \   /     highway="something" oneway="yes"
   \ /      name="none"
    |       highway="something"
    |       name="Some Street"

by some voice that says "turn right in none, then enter the roundabout none"

--
Elena of Valhalla

homepage: http://www.trueelena.org
email: elena.valhalla at gmail.com