[OSM-talk] NoName

Lennard ldp at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 15 18:59:25 BST 2008

Ed Loach wrote:

Resend to list (I loathe this ML for its reply functionality, but will
not go further on that subject):

> Similarly, if you start your journey in an area where there are no
> signs, you are expected to know the speed limit already before you
> see any signs. Do other countries have speed limit signs on every
> way? That's not how I remember it from my brief visits to the USA
> and Crete (other holidays didn’t involve driving).

Commenting on the NL situation: there are default speed limits for road
classifications and where they are (inside or outside built-up areas).
These can be overruled with posted speed signs, which only apply until a
junction (motorway: on-ramp) in the road. After the junction (aptly
called a 'decision moment' in pseudo-legalese) the sign has to be posted
again if it differs from the road default.

To overcome the multitude of signs, in many places they're now using a
zonal application of posted speed signs, where the sign is the same, but
it's framed on a rectangular sign with the word 'Zone' written above or
under the speed sign. These apply until you've passed the 'end of zone'
sign (with diagonal stripes). Only zone-30 is possible inside built-up
zones (default: 50kph), and zone-60 outside (default: 80kph). Every
other speed limit is posted with the regular signage regime.

There have been cases where the zone was 'leaky' and you could enter it
without having seen a sign. You'd have to document it fairly well if you
got a ticket and wanted to legally challenge it, but that could succeed.
  The reason being: "how could I have known, when I've encountered no
signs?"

So, having a way to apply a speed limit to a broad range of roads
(zones, built-up areas) and having a/various nation default(s) would be
helpful.

--
Lennard