[OSM-talk] Open Database Licence

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Sep 16 12:09:26 BST 2008

Hi,

Steve Chilton wrote:
> Webmapper blogged yesterday about the recent OpenStreetMap Users Day in
> Holland (http://www.webmapper.net/), where Henk (and others)
> presented/discussed the possible move to ODL licensing.
> Could someone summarise where we are on the licence issue for the
> Opengeodata blog or the wiki.

I'll summarise here: We have no changes to report since the last
Opengeodata blog entry about the licensing. The last "official"
statement I heard was at this year's SOTM conference where we were told
that the license draft was undergoing review by "a second set of legal
eyes" or something like that.

I suspect that the fact that Jordan Hatcher, the brain behind much of
the initial draft, has taken on a new job (which made it impossible for
him to talk at SOTM) has slowed down things considerably. Also, I had
the impression that Richard Fairhurst was the foundation officer most
active on the topic of discussing, finding, and implementing a new
license, and Richard has not stood for re-election... (but him being
most active may just be a misconception because he took on the role of
communicating with the broader public while everyone else sweated in
private).

Put in other words: The license debate looks pretty much stalled if you
ask me.

Bye
Frederik