[OSM-talk] Rendering by selecting data based on created date?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Sep 16 13:45:25 BST 2008

hI,

> I've had a idea that i'll be able to take a current extract for my
> area, import into a database, then using the node history, extract the
> nodes/ways based on the lowest history date.

Interesting idea, but since we dropped way history in October '07, it
will only go so far.

It is probably easier to just use old planet files and import these into
your database (osm2pgsql has a very handy bounding box parameter that
lets you import only the section you're interested in).

For planet files in API 0.4 format, you will probably have to use one of
the old Perl scripts to cut out a bounding box first, then run 04to05.pl
on the results, and then feed it to osm2pgsql.

That's if you want to do it yourself. I can also send you an animated
gif of an area of your choice if you give me a bounding box (as I have
done for the geofabrik.de web site).

Bye
Frederik