[OSM-talk] Proposed feature for noname

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Sep 22 09:30:48 BST 2008

Elena of Valhalla wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:
>> [...]
>> There was a suggestion for name=__NONAME__ but that is also wrong - what is
>> needed is a SIMPLE name=__TODO__ where there is an item that we know HAS a
>> name but we do not know what it is? [...]
>
> in italy we were already using name=FIXME with a note="FIXME <some
> description>" for that case
>
> it does not appear on the noname layer, however, which is why i
> believe it is being used less

I think that is my point. I'm looking at MY area of the map on no-names and
thinking - why the hell should I go and mark every farm track with something
just because it's currently highlighted. This is a rural area with a lot of
tracks. In the built up areas I also have a lot of 'spots' where a road has a
small spur, a 't' end or some other non linear shape. The NAME displays nicely
but I don't see the need to have to adjust the 'extra' bits - not that I can
until something IS decided anyway? And the roundabouts are fun as well - I
don't want the name because it gets displayed but they are then getting
flagged as no-name.

On one hand I can see the idea of flagging EVERYTHING by default that does not
have a name, but IS that actually the right rule to follow? Do we end up with
a vast volume of data that needs sorting just to hide something on no-names
when it would make more sense to flag when something NEEDS a name?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL