[OSM-talk] Navit format downloads

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 23 10:18:24 BST 2008

Nick Black wrote:
>Sent: 23 September 2008 9:37 AM
>To: Steve Chilton
>Cc: OSM Talk
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Navit format downloads
>
>On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Steve Chilton <S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk>
>wrote:
>> Direct to llustrator (AI) format - with information layered.
>> This would hugely advance the potential for takeup of the data by
>> "traditional cartographers".
>
>Steve - do you have any sample AI files that show the kind of layering
>you're talking about?

Chatting with Richard on IRC it seems logical to aim high and have the
facility to select which layers you want where a single layer equates to a
single key/value pair in the database. Obviously that's not something that
could run off the API but could be a direct extract from a planet derived db
or a script run against a planet file as a stand alone job. The option to
combine more than one key/value pair into the same layer would be a very
nice extra functionality. I'm guessing some of this is not a million miles
from what osmxapi does, it just currently outputs XML rather than one of the
AI file formats.

I don't think this process has to be that quick. I'd have no problem waiting
few hours for the data to be ready for download.

Cheers

Andy