[OSM-talk] Name Check on residentials

Annette Thurow Lulu-Ann at gmx.de
Tue Sep 23 13:29:43 BST 2008

> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 20:11:52 +0100
> From: Christoph B?hme <christoph at b3e.net>
> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Proposed feature for noname
> To: talk at openstreetmap.org
>
> Stefan Hirschmann <krasnoj at gmx.at> schrieb:
> > In case of routing, I think it is a big difference if you know, that
> > the road has definitely no adress. The absense of the name is such a
> > strange thing, that it should be mentioned.
>
> But what would you do differently in a routing application in cases
> where you know that a street has definitely no name compared to cases
> where the name is not yet known? (Apart from telling the driver to jot
> down the streetname and put it on osm). In both cases You need some
> work-around to enable using this streets as destinations or navigate
> through them.
>
> 	Christoph (Xoff)

There will be no differencen in a routing application, but in a mapping
application. When I drive around my NaviPOWN marks red all residentials
without a name. So whenever I have time I turn into that street to
take a photo of the name sign. I will waste time on searching.
If there is none, this will happen over and over agan.
That's why we need to have a tag to turn off the name check.

Lulu-Ann