[OSM-talk] Parking aisle as boundary of car park not showing

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Thu Sep 25 11:23:36 BST 2008

Andy quoted Frederik:

> > An argument that I would accept if we'd be tagging roads as
> areas. But
> > as long as we tag roads as "idealized" zero-width lines which
> any
> > renderer will draw as it sees fit, it does not make a lot of
> sense to
> > let the area end precisely at the roadside.

And added:

> It makes more sense - to me - to place nodes with their actual
> latitude and longitude, so if the edge of the carpark is right
> here
> where I'm standing then marking it in the database as being
> somewhere
> 5-10m over to my left seems wrong. Same with two buildings
> either side
> of a road, where the edges of both are 10 metres apart, not
> touching
> down its centerline.

I would agree, and if Frederik does want to tag roads as areas he
could use the width= and/or est_width= tags, although it is unlikely
that the renderers use them, assuming that the widths they currently
render are based on just the highway= value and doesn't take into
account any width tags (though I may be wrong).

Ed