[OSM-talk] Code of conduct for automated (mass-) edits

Hugh Barnes list.osm at hughbris.com
Mon Sep 29 12:48:15 BST 2008

On Monday 29 September 2008 21:24:29 Shaun McDonald wrote:
> Hugh Barnes wrote:
> > On Monday 29 September 2008 18:37:53 Gert Gremmen wrote:
> >
> > [..]]
> > All worthy ideas.
> >
> > I would probably look at using a custom, temporarily-useful User Agent
> > string in the HTTP request rather than specific "user" hoodoo, to
> > summarise it lazily. Is this a possibility?
>
> No, because the user agent is not recorded as part of the edits. Nor is
> it planned to record it as a property of the changeset in API 0.6.

Right, that's surprising, it's a pretty handy thing. I was about to ask how
you know the editor in the history, but the penny's dropped that you actually
use a tag to record it. I guess that's a legacy of editors existing outside
of the API.

I think for a RESTful API you should look to use HTTP features as much as
possible.

Sorry, going off-topic. Cheers.