[OSM-talk] OpenCycleMap: outreach to local group and council: any HOWTOs or pointers? [Oxford and general content]

Andrew Chadwick (email lists) andrewc-email-lists at piffle.org
Mon Sep 29 14:45:27 BST 2008

Out of the blue, I've been asked to advise Cyclox, a local cyclists'
advocacy group about improving [upon] the Oxfordshire County Council's
cycle map for the city of Oxford[1], and I've said I'll help out. It
sounds like a great opportunity: the bike group is enthusiastic and
community- focused, and there may be some gathering of data involved, so
it might feed back into OSM that way. They sound enthusiastic about
gathering data of interest to cyclists down to the level of bike parking
locations and capacities[2], so by doing what they'd do to benefit
themselves we'd benefit too. Which would be nice.

Are there any general pointers out there for this kind of outreach
stuff? I'd be interested to know how many OSMers out there on talk have
done this sort of thing in the past too, and if they have any
experiences they'd like to share.

(I really like the look of the so-called "Cheltenham Standard",
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Cheltenham_Standard , which
RichardF dredged up a while back on #osm. I wonder how/if that could be
implemented in a Mapnik ruleset...)

[1] http://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cyclemaps
[2] I've done a bit of bike parking mapping myself recently:
    http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=15&lat=51.75321&lon=-1.25636
    Wonder if that might have been selling the project locally?

--
Andrew Chadwick