[OSM-talk] YOURS now supports route using only cycleroutes -Update

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Tue Sep 30 14:27:43 BST 2008

Andy wrote:

> I'd suggest spending time fixing map features instead. If map
> features
> disagrees with the contents of the DB, then it's map features
> that's
> incorrect.
>
> As usual.

I think this recently also got touched on on Talk-GB. I think a lot
of people are reluctant to "fix" map features because of all these
proposals and RFCs and votes that exist for the introduction of new
features.

But if one or more of the main editing tools includes a feature it
is likely that it will already be in use a lot, so perhaps should
already be in Map Features. I'm thinking for example of
barrier=bollard in JOSM which is rendered on the Osmarender layer,
but highlights as not-in-Map_Features if I use the Maplint
information to check what I've done mapping locally.

And this morning I read of a proposed feature farmland:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/farmland
Read the summary, and then think should this even need to be a
proposal, or should it be a quick edit of Map Features to add
landuse=farmland as an equivalent to (and perhaps newer version of)
landuse=farm as is currently there?

I feel that any tag already used by Potlatch or JOSM that isn't
already documented in Map Features should be added there as a quick
edit. Can anyone provide a good argument why not?

Ed