[OSM-talk] GPSMAP 60Cx still the best OSM GPS?

Roozbeh Pournader roozbeh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 22:06:38 BST 2009

Hi all,

I wish to buy the best (amateur) GPS for contributing to OSM. (I have
no plan to use the device for anything else other than improving OSM,
I plan to get something else for my other GPS needs.) I really care
about accuracy, being able to get a lot of high-quality tracks, and
being ultra quick with recording a waypoint.

Reading the reviews on the wiki pages, it seems to me that Garmin
GPSMAP 60Cx is still *the* GPS to get for OSM:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GPS_Reviews
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin

But I am worried that those may be out of date.

So, a few questions:

Is GPSMAP 60Cx still the OSM GPS to get?

Is there any OSM-related reason to try to get a 60CSx (the version
that has the electronic compass and barometric altimeter)?

Is there anything as good as 60Cx that can also do photos of street
signs and/or voice recording without sacrificing the quality of the
tracks and waypoints or the ease of use?

Thanks,
Roozbeh