[OSM-talk] People's Map

Chris Fleming me at chrisfleming.org
Fri Apr 10 12:22:11 BST 2009

On 09/04/09 10:15, Mike Harris wrote:
> Thanks - rather what I had thought but it was new to me. A quick comparison
> of areas I know well shows OSM streets ahead (if you'll pardon the weak pun)
> ... I also found that it was difficult to actually do much with their data
> for free other than link to them from a web site. Sounds like GetMapping
> have found a way to enlist the innocent to enhance their commercial aerial
> photography products by providing tags!

One thing I did notice is that while they have excellent imagery, if
something changes they don't seem to have any alternative methods (such
as GPS traces) for updating the map until someone takes a plane up and
gets new pictures. I had a look at the M9 Spur which has been open since
October 2007 and in OSM since then but even if someone wanted to add it
to people's map then it wouldn't be possible.

The same thing applies to getting all the interesting data that can't be
seen from the air.

Cheers
Chris