[OSM-talk] Aerial Photographs (was: People's Map)

Blumpsy blumpsy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 15 19:06:32 BST 2009

There is an interesting paper from our dear friends over in Redmond:

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=75312

 From the article:
"Our mission, in contrast, involved an ordinary four seat Cessna
($160/hour rental, including pilot), three feet of PVC pipe, a consumer
digital camera ($300), and two people: one pilot and one to operate the
camera shutter and change the batteries (Figure 2). In post-processing,
we identified 25 ground reference pairs, and used 60 photos to produce a
208 megapixel image at a resolution of 0.15 m/pixel"

The camera in Figure 2 looks exactly like the one I have sitting right
next to me: a Canon Power Shot A640 with 10MP.

I found it rather entertaining to have an operator to press the trigger
and swap batteries. For this, there is surely a more elegant solution
(PSU and gphoto2)

Anyhow, maybe one or the other finds this interesting and inspiring.

Cheers

Blumpsy