[OSM-talk] best GPS for trekking

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 16 17:41:18 BST 2009

Joe Richards [mailto:joefish75 at yahoo.com] wrote:
>Sent: 16 April 2009 5:35 PM
>To: Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists); Joe Richards; talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] best GPS for trekking
>

>Well I'd like to collect lots of data, even if it involves me taking a pack
>of those 2GB SD cards that I keep switching every day or two... Obviously
>taking normal AA batteries is a plus, and I am thinking of getting one of
>those solar chargers that covers the top of your backpack (yes seriously!)
>
>Browsing the Garmin eTrex devices, I notice even the ones with a proper
>screen aren't all that expensive
>http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod3549.html
>
>I could then load it up with maps that show any existing data from OSM
>and/or any other sources, e.g. http://www.nepalgpsmap.com/en/maps.html to
>keep track of how far (and high) we're going and whether or not waypoints
>have already been marked...

Legend HCx will do the job but the Vista version may be of interest if you
want more precise height data. The one you linked to does not have the SD
card (the x denotes that). These are the two models at Amazon:

Vista:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-eTrex-Vista-HCx-Handheld/dp/B000UH1YZ8/ref=sr
_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239899960&sr=8-1

Legend:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-eTrex-Legend-Handheld-System/dp/B000UNFLNS/re
f=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239900025&sr=8-1

I have a 2GB SD card in my Legend and have the whole OSM map of Europe plus
a year of tracklogs on it and there is still room for loads more. One micro
SD card should be more than enough for your trip.

Cheers

Andy