[OSM-talk] Removing home point cloud(s) from multiple GPX files

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 21:19:56 BST 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:21 PM, David Ebling <dave_ebling at yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> During the downtime I figured I should really catch up with cleaning up my
> huge backlog of GPX files and prepare them for upload. I have many many
> hours of tracks on my HDD that I have not uploaded because many of them are
> polluted with point clouds around my house and my relatives' houses. I am
> not happy to upload these for privacy reasons and also for data purity
> reasons.
>
> I am not very command line compatible, and can't find *any* gui tool for
> Mac or Windows that will let me do this. GPX Babel only seems to let you
> remove points outside a radius not inside the radius, unless you use the
> exclude option which appears to be command line only. It also takes lat and
> long in an annoying format (decimal minutes, neither decimal degrees nor
> degrees, minutes and seconds.) It also seems only to be able to process one
> file at a time on the Mac version I've played with.
>
> Is there any program out there that will do this easily? If not OSM would
> really benefit from one, as I think there are many people like me who aren't
> uploading GPX because cleaning them up is simply too much effort. Here's my
> idea for someone with more programming skills than me:
>
> -A dialogue box that uses an OSM slippy map to draw circles of exclusion on
> the map, with a guidance note suggesting that they are near and covering but
> not exactly centred on your home/work/other point cloud locations.
> -Ability to batch process that's user friendly
> -Output to a new folder
> -Ideally, upload direct to OSM, to be considerate to other users, perhaps
> over a specified time interval.
>
> Any programmers out there want to take up this idea while we have some down
> time? :D Please? :) I'll upload lots of GPX files in return! ;)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

I want the same thing, and I looked into doing this with GPSBabel, too, and
while it has the capability to filter points inside or outside a radius (or
polygon, etc.), that function does not work on trackpoints, and the author
had said something to the effect of "it doesn't make sense to have it
enabled for trackpoints because it would make false tracks (jumps, etc.)".
At least, that's what I found when I last checked about maybe a year ago. I
don't know why it couldn't just split it into however many tracks it needs
to show the discontinuity before/after the exclusion zone.

Karl