[OSM-talk] Accepted Summer of Code 09 Students Announced

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 23:43:34 BST 2009

Hi OpenStreetMappers,

I'd like to extend congratulations to the six students that were accepted
for the Google Summer of Code project.

These projects were accepted and will be funded by Google:

   - OSM Direction Tool for Visually Impaired by Rajan Vaish, mentored by
   Artem Dudarev
   - Automatic Street-Sign Detection and Reading by Tijs Zwinkels, mentored
   by Stefan de Konink
   - Static Maps API by Pawel Niechoda, mentored by Tim Waters
   - Preprocessor to Add Altitude Information to OSM Data by Hermann Kraus,
   mentored by Graham Jones
   - Android Navigation Application Using OSM Data by Iulian Banaga,
   mentored by Ciprian Talaba
   - Profile-Based Traffic Routing by Carl Magnuson, mentored by Andrew Ayre

In addition to these 6 projects, there were 20 other excellent propsals that
we just couldn't convince Google to fund. These folks deserve a virtual
round of applause for spending the time to write excellent applications and
be very active with feedback and responding to questions:

   - Adam Smith
   - Nathaniel Clay
   - Grady Laksmono
   - Ting Zhao
   - Darafei Praliaskouski
   - Li Zheng
   - Mario Ferraro
   - Mike LeVeille
   - Xi Chen
   - Marius Stuebs
   - Nagendra Koilada
   - Nicholas I
   - Radomir Cernoch
   - David Verhasselt
   - Tobias Sauerwein
   - Marek Urbaniak
   - Viggnesh Kandasamy

All of these people will be receiving some feedback from us (the mentors and
I). If you see them post a question or two, please be very helpful and open
with them (as usual). I will be asking each and every one of them to
continue contributing to OSM even though they weren't funded for the Summer
and look forward to helping them join the community.

You can see more details on the GSoC website here:

http://socghop.appspot.com/org/home/google/gsoc2009/openstreetmap

Please send any feedback, questions, or concerns about this year's GSoC to
me or this thread. It was my first time through the process and there are
definitely ways to do it better!

Thanks,
Ian

PS: Please forgive me if I misspelled your name. I'm not a perfect typer.