[OSM-talk] Any chance of getting RSS/Atom feeds for those changeset/history pages?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Apr 22 18:36:56 BST 2009

Hi,

Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:
> Getting RSS/Atom feeds for these seems to be the logical next step. (I
> prefer Atom 1.0 + GeoRSS extension instead of RSS 2.0, by the way.) I assume
> that it'd be *extremely* easy to do this: just reformat the current
> changeset list page's output.

Yes, but as you have perhaps seen, this is sub-optimal in that it gives
you many false positives.

The bounding box stored with a changeset is a quick indicator about the
extents of changes but not so suitable for alerting people or monitoring
an area because if someone makes an edit in Madrid and one in Moscow
then basically everyone who monitors some place in Europe will have that
change on his radar.

A proper monitoring function has to use the changeset bbox as an index
only and then check whether the changeset *really* contains something in
the area of interest to the subscriber. This is more expensive in terms
of CPU power and I'm not sure if we want to burden the API with it. It
could be done externally if changesets are distributed as OSM diffs are
today.

Bye
Frederik