[OSM-talk] Delay before the data is visible?

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Thu Apr 23 11:05:26 BST 2009

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Shaun McDonald wrote:

> The renderers are delayed until the minutely diff are working again.
> There are some bugs there that need to be resolved first. Then there
> will be a delay of a few hours/days once the diffs come back up.

Some curiosities/observations:

1. Is OSM now using the tile expiry code I implemented in osm2pgsql to
work out what to re-render, or is it using something different?

2. I noticed the minutely deltas are now delayed by an hour (used to be
about 5 minutes).  Is this down to server load?  If so, why are the
servers suddenly so much busier than before the API change (there don't
seem to be that many uploads happenning and I wouldn't have thought there
would be a big increase in downloads since the API change).

3. The deltas are much smaller than they used to be and there are long
periods where they are completely empty.  A look at the "recent changes"
page seems to show that there really are long periods when no one is
committing any data.  Is this down to people actually not trying to upload
anything or is the API undergoing periods of breakage so that people can't
upload anything?

  - Steve