[OSM-talk] Wrong scale in slippy map

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Fri Apr 24 17:32:50 BST 2009

El Viernes, 24 de Abril de 2009, Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio escribió:
> I think we ought to be able to do a projection where we turn the globe
> into a symmetrical regular polyhedra. In effect at zoom level zoom
> level 1 the world is a tetrahedron, as you go up you add more
> equilateral triangles. while keeping your angles the same.
>
> At each higher zoom level each triangular faces is split into 3
> triangles. creating what gets closer and closer to a globe. Same way
> as some footballs are made up of hexagons......

Nah, you really mean any azimuthal projection centered on the facets of a
geodesic sphere. IIRC, it has been proposed already, some time ago.

Unfortunately, that means a complete overhaul of the renderers, *plus*
switching openlayers from one projection to another on-the-fly when the user
pans out of the current projection, *plus* a lenghty discussion on whether a
gnomonic or an orthographic or a stereographic or a lambert azimuthal
projection is best.

It'd be cool, but I don't think it's worth the hassle right now.
--
Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es <mailto:ivan at sanchezortega.es>

oops.. misquoting me again. I did not write that...Is this a conspiration?

"Un ordenador no es un televisor ni un microondas, es una herramienta compleja"

Sure. Especially complex for you, apparently.

Regards, Juan Lucas