[OSM-talk] GPS logger

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Tue Apr 28 17:11:24 BST 2009

On Apr 27, 2009, at 3:25 PM, Torsten Mohr wrote:
> can anybody give me a hint on a GPS logger?  I'd just like to track
> the
> position on SD card.
> It would be great if the battery would last for a week or even longer.

http://community.cloudmade.com/blog/2009/03/16/columbus-v-900-review/

Records to an SD card.  Records audio notes.  Battery is good for 30
hours.  On the downside, the file is funky, but I have a Python
program to convert it to GPX.  US$100.  Has a waypoint button.
Streams to bluetooth.

http://community.cloudmade.com/blog/2009/03/03/the-amod-agl3080-data-logger/

Records to an internal 128MB flash, which gets exposed as a flash
drive via USB.  File format is NMEA sentences.  GPSBabel will convert
them.  Has a waypoint button.  Uses three AAA batteries.  $70.

I also have a Wintec BT-104.  Don't remember how much memory it has.
Newer versions of GPSBabel can download from it.  Streams to bluetooth
and serial.  Has a compass.  Was $100 when I bought it; dunno what it
goes for now.

I recommend them all, but audio mapping with the Columbus is the most
fun.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - Twitter: Russ_OSM - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson