[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Mysterious 403s on TIGER place bulk uploads

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 21:34:47 BST 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Chris Lawrence <lordsutch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a good reason why my TIGER place bulk uploads keep getting
> blocked with 403s?  I'll gladly add further backoffs and more reuse of
> existing changesets (currently I've set the uploader to chunks of 250
> elements and changesets of 20 uploads, essentially limiting each
> changeset to 5000 elements, with a 15 second delay before retrying a
> 500 error and bailing after 3 consecutive 500s or any other error), or
> even add a delay between each chunk if the server needs to
> breathe/reduce contention, but it'd be nice if someone *told* me what
> the problem was so I could fix it.

I'm having problems with my NHD uploads, too. I started with 50k elements in
each changeset (like the capabilities API says) and have backed all the way
down to 20000. The problem is that the server accepted one of the
20k-element changesets, so I have to keep using those so the IDs don't get
screwed up.

Perhaps it's the clients fault, but I don't see any description of why the
upload failed returned back (using JOSM in this case). It just keeps
retrying.