[OSM-talk] Rendering of footways with bicycle=yes

Someoneelse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Thu Apr 30 13:27:11 BST 2009

Richard Mann wrote:
> ... I've come to the view that "cycleway" should be used
> if someone's gone to the trouble to make it good enough to cycle on, and
> nobody's obviously objecting.

I'd agree with that.  As a non-cyclist I don't feel somehow
discriminated against because somewhere that I walk also permits
cyclists (and horseriders*).

It's also worth mention that outside of England and Wales cycle access
on what we'd call in the vernacular a "footpath" is sometimes normal
(e.g. "fietspad" in the Netherlands, which means "Bicycle Path" and is
often used where we'd say "there's a footpath between A and B").

*Except when you're walking home in the dark and someone's emptied their
horse all over the middle of the path and you didn't see it until too
late...