[OSM-talk] Title bars (dynamic updating of)

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun Aug 2 11:22:02 BST 2009

On 02/08/09 11:06, OJ W wrote:

> It would need to be in rails to go on the main page though, so if any
> ruby programmer wants to implement it, I can tell them what needs
> doing?  (use the zoom level to choose 3 appropriately-spaced points
> around the lat/lon, lookup the placenames at each point (optionally
> choosing a language for the placenames), and return a list of
> placenames that appear in all 3 points)

Implementing it is easy. Predicting the resource usage of hundreds of
browsers asking for a new title every few seconds is not.

The gain here seems trivial - how many people are actually studying the
title bar of the browser while they pan around the map? and the
potential to impose a significant load on the server is high.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/