[OSM-talk] definition of the main highway-tag

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Aug 2 12:12:46 BST 2009

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009, Pieren wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 12:03 PM, James Livingston<doctau at mac.com> wrote:
> > If we ignore the Australian tagging guidelines, what should we use for
> > roads that are the same as residential ones but in an industrial area?
> > According to the wiki, unclassified roads are wider than residential
> > ones, and while roads in industrial areas are often wider than
> > residential ones, that's not always the case.
>
> The wiki talks about residential or unclassified roads inside a
> residential area:
Which wiki page ? the last one or the earlier ones?

> "This tag is used for roads accessing or around residential areas but
> which are not a classified or unclassified highway. "
>
> Tagging roads inside industrial or commercial areas with
> highway=residential sounds really bad, sorry.

lots of things sound bad, but we need more than "feel good" answers to make
good maps.

So the question is:
is there anything about a road inside an industrial or commercial area which
would be important inside a renderer or a routing engine
and is different to a residential road?