[OSM-talk] residential and unclassified in Australia WAS definition of the main highway-tag

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 22:50:58 BST 2009

/moved this discussion to another thread as it is not about the topic
in the headline/

2009/8/2 Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net>:
> On Sun, 2 Aug 2009, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> Furthermore industrial areas are
>> built according to standards that allow easy use with trucks, while in
>> residential areas you will more often have smaller streets and
>> straighter curves, which will cause problems to big trucks.
>
> That does not apply in our country
> The roads are all built to the one standard.

sorry, but I can't believe that. All roads in your country have the
same width? The same minimum radius for curves?

> We don't have mediaeval cities, with narrow streets, overhanging upper stories
> and other problems like that.

some call it problems, I'd call it a feature ;-)

I had a quick look and here's 2 examples:
(IMHO) residential:
http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=de&ie=UTF8&ll=-37.675859,145.165879&spn=0.000252,0.000597&t=h&z=21
(IMHO) unclassified (~25% wider in the aerial):
http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=de&ie=UTF8&ll=-37.769521,145.02807&spn=0.000504,0.001195&t=h&z=21

cheers,
Martin