[OSM-talk] tagging roads

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 00:00:32 BST 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Martin
Koppenhoefer<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Certainly it would be even more useful, if there was a definition how
> to measure (inside road marking, complete with pavement, does the
> lateral paved area outside the road marking count, etc.).

I think this is very important, and probably the biggest issue with a
width tag. I would suggest:

Tag the width of the surface on which users of the way are expected to travel.

For paved ways (roads, cycleways, footpaths, etc), this would normally
be between the parallel edges of the paved area (i.e. not including
road shoulder, etc). For roads with line marking, users of the way are
expected to travel between the lines, so area outside the road marking
would not count toward the value of the width tag.

For unpaved ways, the definition does not change - "the surface on
which users of the way are expected to travel".