[OSM-talk] residential and unclassified in Australia WAS definition of the main highway-tag

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 14:23:21 BST 2009

2009/8/3 James Livingston <doctau at mac.com>:
> On 02/08/2009, at 9:56 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> yes. A residential road should be avoided if possible (slow, dangerous
>> and noisy for residents / playing kids), while I don't see this in
>> industrial or commercial context.
>
> Not having been to Europe I can't say for sure, I wouldn't say that in
> Australia. I'd generally prefer residential over industrial roads,
> because the latter have more trucks, more variability in road
> condition (due to heavy vehicle damage), and the like.

OK, so it remains the same: there is an interest to know whether it is
a residential street or a small one in a "not-residential"-area.

> In any case, if you have a router that does this kind of thing,
> wouldn't it be better to base it off landuse=residential/industrial?

the problem is, that it is far more timeconsuming to check this for
all roads instead of having the information already avaible as such.

> On 03/08/2009, at 7:50 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> sorry, but I can't believe that. All roads in your country have the
>> same width? The same minimum radius for curves?
>
> They don't, but that's more to do with tertiary <-> residential/
> unclassified than it's not really on an industrial/residential basis -
> what we tag as tertiary is different to what we tag as residential in
> both areas.

well, tag whatever you like, I just can tell you, that the definiton
in the wiki says for residential, that there must be at least at one
side residences. If you don't care about this definition, do as you
like. You'll IMHO loose a datum and gain nothing.

>> (IMHO) residential:
>> http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=de&ie=UTF8&ll=-37.675859,145.165879&spn=0.000252,0.000597&t=h&z=21
>> (IMHO) unclassified (~25% wider in the aerial):
>> http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=de&ie=UTF8&ll=-37.769521,145.02807&spn=0.000504,0.001195&t=h&z=21
>
> Sure, and I can find a heap of examples where they're the same.

but I guess you won't find an industrial zone with very narrow streets
(unclassified, probably you'll find footways and service), while of
course in residential areas there might be wider streets (and often
they won't be residential but tertiary then).

Just for my interest: is any of you familiar with the national/local
planning regulations for roads in your area? Maybe it would help to
have a look if you haven't already done so.

cheers,
Martin