[OSM-talk] residential and unclassified in Australia WAS definition of the main highway-tag

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Tue Aug 4 13:34:58 BST 2009

On 03/08/2009, at 11:23 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2009/8/3 James Livingston <doctau at mac.com>:
>> In any case, if you have a router that does this kind of thing,
>> wouldn't it be better to base it off landuse=residential/industrial?
>
> the problem is, that it is far more timeconsuming to check this for
> all roads instead of having the information already avaible as such.

It'd probably take a bit longer to convert from the OSM data to
whatever format your router actually uses, but it also means you could
treat roads in other landuse areas differently too.

> well, tag whatever you like, I just can tell you, that the definiton
> in the wiki says for residential, that there must be at least at one
> side residences.

The highway=residential wiki page doesn't directly say that, but may
imply it. The problem is that a lot of the words used seem to be based
on the British way of defining roads and that doesn't necessarily
translate into non-British English very well, let alone into other
languages (as seen in some of the other discussions).

Most of the Highway page talks about British road classifications, and
things like "(tertiary) In the UK, they tend to have dashed lines down
the middle, whereas unclassified roads don't", which doesn't really
help people figure out how it is supposed to apply to other countries.

What exactly does "This tag is used for roads accessing or around
residential areas but which are not a classified or unclassified
highway" mean? If you take 'highway' to be a synonym for 'road' then
suburban residential streets shouldn't be tagged like that because
they are unclassified. If it's not a synonym, then how do industrial
streets get tagged, because they're not highways.

In addition the "Australian Tagging Guidelines" (which Liz mentioned
were written a year before the residential page) explicitly disagree
with the residential page.

Which brings us around to one of the major questions in this argument.
If the consensus (which may exist in Europe, but I'm far from certain
is global) is to use one definition, but within a region there is a
consensus to use a different definition, what do people want to happen?

> If you don't care about this definition, do as you
> like. You'll IMHO loose a datum and gain nothing.

There are other ways of storing that data (e.g. landuse) and roads in
Australia aren't tagged according to the highway=residential wiki page
at the present time, so what exactly do we lose?

We might not be able to use exactly the same routing settings as in
Europe, but I'm pretty certain they are never going to work as-is
anyway, simply because things are different over here.