[OSM-talk] OSM Low-Res / Overview / Toplevel

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 19:37:31 BST 2009

Hello,

I would like a subset of the planet file that only include the largest and
most notable features: For example large cities, provinces, states and
countries. The ways should be simplified so that segments are typically
several kilometers long (or longer).

Is it easy to generate such an extract ?

If care is taken with the selection of places / names, such a map may become
quite useful for geocoding. We want only "the" Paris. We want abbreviations
like NY, as long as they do not lead to confusion. Sources of information
include geonames and wikipedia.

Anyone interested in helping with such a project ?

Regards,
Nic