[OSM-talk] (no subject)

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Tue Aug 4 21:59:53 BST 2009

On 4 Aug 2009, at 21:11, Jack Stringer wrote:

> I would name it name=Elmers End Tesco, operator=Tesco etc,
>
> So if someone wanted to bring up a list off all Tesco sites they just
> seach the operators, but if you were doing a search for the nearest
> Tesco then the name will supply you with the details you need to find
> it. Its a PITA when you do a search for Tesco and all the ones come up
> with Tesco 3.5miles, Tesco 5.5miles etc. I like to know which town as
> some towns are better than others IYSWIM.

The geocoding can easily look at another tag other than the name tag
when it is a shop to give you a more appropriate answer about its
name. They can also use some geo black magic and tell you the area
(suburb, town, city, country etc) that they are in without needing the
tags on the specific shop node/way.

> Now I am off to read this draft proposal as I have internet access now
> via the laptop.

It needs some clarifications and examples to be more useful.

Shaun