[OSM-talk] residential and unclassified in Australia WAS definition of the main highway-tag

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 02:42:46 BST 2009

2009/8/4 Liz <edodd at billiau.net>:
>> I would
>> appreciate to have the same routing and rules allover the world,
> I don't believe it is possible

I have been to different countries too, e.g. to Africa, and I don't
think the road systems are all the same. I know that there is big
differences. But this doesn't explain why routing shouldn't work as
long as you keep the hierarchy. In the end, you will have to drive on
the roads that are there. There is no possibility if you go by car. I
didn't say that I expect e.g. travel time estimations to work
everywhere with the same rules, but simple routing - given the
relative importance - should IMHO make routing possible worldwide.

cheers,
Martin