[OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - 4wd_only

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 5 08:53:33 BST 2009

--- On Wed, 5/8/09, Jack Stringer <jack.ixion at googlemail.com> wrote:

> 4x4 are for the crap drivers, 2wd is
> the best. In the UK there are several reliabilty trials that
> use these so called 4x4 tracks for competitions.
> I think we need a tag that suggests the highway is
> either rough terrain or hard going and a decent off road
> vehicle is strongly advised. 4x4 only does not suggest that
> to me, my van is a 4x4 but its soo low it would break doing
> proper off-roading.

People in Australia are used to signs that say 4wd only and it's meaning is clear, there is no tag combination at present that says it succinctly, the point of getting this officially recognised is so that rendered maps will show "4wd only" after the name and those that have suitable vehicles can if they wish take those routes and those that don't won't.

There is usually a few tourists every year that end up stuck somewhere and dead and marking 4wd tracks may reduce the stupidity of people taking short cuts when they really don't know what to expect.