[OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - 4wd_only

Morten Kjeldgaard mok at bioxray.au.dk
Wed Aug 5 09:30:48 BST 2009

On 05/08/2009, at 10.09, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Maybe it makes sense to use a variation of the "motorcar" tag which is
> already widely used to model car access (e.g. highway=tertiary,
> motorcar=4wdonly - or even highway=tertiary, motorcar=no,
> motorcar:4wd=yes or something)?

This is going in the wrong direction IMHO.

There is no limit to the number of vehicles that could be defined in
this way. What about armored_tanks=yes ? :-)
I think it's a mistake to use tags that depend on anything but the
terrain. For example, terrain=*. That would tell people what they want
to know from a map, namely what the terrain is like, not what kind of
vehicle someone thinks can go there.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Morten