[OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - 4wd_only

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 5 09:34:17 BST 2009

--- On Wed, 5/8/09, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> What is the legal status of these signs? Are you liable to
> a fine if you
> proceed with a 2WD car, or is it just that the insurance
> won't pay if
> you do and get stuck? Or are they just meant as an advice
> to drivers?

Primarily they are advice which reflects the state the road is usually in.

At the very least you look stupid to who ever comes along to pull you out :)

I don't think insurance would be too much of a problem, getting a ticket by a cop "disobeying a sign" or similar might happen but I've never heard of anyone getting one.

> What about motorcycles?

BMW road/off road bikes work well, road bikes don't work very well on anything but sealed roads, and then you have trail/ag/4 wheel bikes all would go on these roads no problem.

The question is, what sort of motorcycle are you asking about?

> Maybe it makes sense to use a variation of the "motorcar"
> tag which is
> already widely used to model car access (e.g.
> highway=tertiary,
> motorcar=4wdonly - or even highway=tertiary, motorcar=no,
> motorcar:4wd=yes or something)?

I'm not sure which is better from a consistency point of view, however 4wd_only=yes/recommended/no is already in use.