[OSM-talk] residential and unclassified in Australia WAS definition of the main highway-tag

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 5 10:47:17 BST 2009

--- On Wed, 5/8/09, Jonathan Bennett <openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk> wrote:
> It's up to the AU community what to do about this, but be
> aware that in
> the European Axis there's a very strong feeling that for a
> road to be
> tagged residential, there needs to be houses (or other
> dwellings) on it,
> and for it not to be designed for through traffic.

I've had no objections for highway=rural on the talk-au list, but these roads are distinct from tracks and the volume of traffic that goes along them.

I feel there is a very real need to describe "something" that is between residential and track and up until this point in time unclassified has been used.