[OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - 4wd_only

David Lynch djlynch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 17:26:58 BST 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 09:45, Morten Kjeldgaard<mok at bioxray.au.dk> wrote:
> So using the "surface=*" tag is a
> better approach IMHO  to warn that a road is in a bad shape for ordinary
> traffic.

Surface alone doesn't tell you enough. A standard car can handle just
about any surface except mud, as long as it's relatively smooth and
flat.

I drive a 2WD car that is about as far from the ground as my cat, but
about once a month, I travel along a 3km-long driveway that's a
mixture of rocky soil, loose gravel/pebbles, and bedrock. There
unsealed roads in the area with what most people would call a better
surface that I've had difficulty with when dry and wouldn't dare try
in the rain.

--
David J. Lynch
djlynch at gmail.com