[OSM-talk] residential and unclassified in Australia WAS definition of the main highway-tag

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 02:14:05 BST 2009

2009/8/5 Jonathan Bennett <openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk>:
> John Smith wrote:
>> I feel there is a very real need to describe "something" that is between residential and track and up until this point in time unclassified has been used.

tracks at least in Germany are not considered "roads", but ways, that
is they are not intended for cars to travel (in some regions it is
even generally forbidden to use them even without explicit signs), but
for farmers to access their fields, for foresters to access the
forest, etc. You are generally allowed to use them as pedestrian or
cyclist but not by car. As long as nobody is nearby there is also
people using them ("ilegally") by car btw.

> If there are types of roads in Australia that you feel the existing tags
> don't adequately describe, feel free to start using a new one -- you can
> use Any Tags You Like.

+1

> Bear in mind that the highway tags aren't meant
> to be a sliding scale of importance, or follow a strict hierarchy.

-1. I would contradict this for streets.

cheers,
Martin